Pressalit: Fewer interruptions in production
“One day with DELTA brought us much closer to a solution of the problem of failures and production stoppages at our packaging plant”
Solve one problem, but discover another
The packaging plant at Pressalit in Ry, Denmark, is the last automatic process in production before the product, toilet seats, is sent out all around the world.
The plant plays an important role in the overall production and is being continuously improved to ensure a stable flow.
There was a great deal of frustration, therefore, when the plant became unstable, and from time to time came to a complete standstill, while the toilet seats kept on stacking up and the risk of unhappy customers increased.
DELTA's specialists helped
The technical mechanics at Pressalit could not find the reason for the problem and chose to seek help from outside. DELTA's specialist arrived at Ry to help solve the problem.
On that very day, the packaging plant ran according to the book and DELTA therefore decided to take a measurement of the electrical noise at the plant.
DELTA provides advice on modifications
The measurement pointed to a range of noise sources with a high noise level that can normally affect control panels, and DELTA's employee came up with a range of recommendations about how the noise could be reduced and brought down below the level that is recommended in the industry.
The recommendations were put into action with joint help and tests carried out to ensure that the installation was running satisfactorily before DELTA's employee left Pressalit's site.
Since then, the number of inexplicable failures and stoppages at the plant has roughly halved.
Map the noise and adjust the noise source
DELTA often finds that the improvements and adjustments that production companies make to their plants have an unwanted side-effect - namely, that the level of electrical noise becomes so high that it affects the control panels. As was the case at Pressalit, the solution is to map the electrical noise level and, against that background, to be able to adjust noise sources that have too high a level.
In 80% of all cases, the problem is solved at the first attempt
Pressalit is also a good example of how not all problems can be solved in the first instance. DELTA's experience is that, in approximately 80% of all cases, this type of measuring of electrical noise will suffice to find all the problems. However, in the remaining approximately 20% of the cases there may be other reasons for the problem, for example mechanical faults or component faults in the installation. Faults of this type cannot be confirmed and mapped by DELTA until a follow-up measurement is taken, once the level of electrical noise has been brought down to an acceptable level.